The average military family moves 9 times over a 20-year career. With each move, military children face many school-related challenges. The School Liaison Officer is your advocate.
- Addresses issues with youth registration in the local school system
- Disseminates resources and information to families, commanders, schools and the community
- Validates transition concerns and connects families with resources
- Offers support for inbound/outbound school transfers
- Connects families with local school’s points-of-contact
- Advises command on education transition issues
- Trains local schools on military children culture
- Educates local communities and schools regarding the needs of military children
Download the Back-to-School Checklist.
Educational Programs and the Los Angeles Area Schools
Los Angeles County is the 2nd largest school districts in the US! There are many options for education, public school, private school and homeschooling. Together, these combined resources educate thousands of students annually. Please click the link below to find the school districts attended by LAAFB military children.
Within the LAUSD, Magnet Schools www.echoices.lausd.net offer advanced courses on a variety of subjects and slots are competitively filled. Magnet applications are accepted by LAUSD in December for the following school year.
The State of California requires that the school district where you reside to hold space for your child, but there are some circumstances where you can ask for a release from your local district and ask for consideration for your child to attend school in another district. Call the Airman & Family Readiness Center and we can provide you information based on your situation.
The LA area offers a world of diverse opportunities for your family and your children &emdash; there are galleries, museums, beautiful parks, beaches, mountains, desert and recreational venues, as well as cultural diversity that aren’t found anywhere else in the world!
We recommend you get to know a little about the base, as well as get organized for your move as you start to think about schools for your children.
Assembly Bill 306:
Download the Assembly Bill 306 Inter district Permit Application Brochure for students of Active Duty Parent(s). Valid in California Only.
Public and Private Schools:
- Cities in the Immediate Vicinity of Los Angeles AFB and Fort MacArthur AFB:
- South Bay Region, beach communities, a short 10-15 minutes drive to Los Angeles AFB off Pacific Coast Highway.
- Torrance, an inland city, is 15-20 minutes drive to Los Angeles AFB.
- San Pedro is a 20-25 minute drive from Los Angeles AFB, and is the location of our base housing:
Schools Can Receive Money For Military Families’ Attendance
Ask about completing an Impact Aid Survey which can help a school qualify for funding.
Impact Aid is used for a wide variety of expenses, including salaries of teachers and teacher aides; purchasing textbooks, computers and other equipment; after-school programs and remedial tutoring; advanced placement classes; and special enrichment programs. For additional Information please visit: