Welcome to Los Angeles Air Force Base!
The Los Angeles Air Force Base School Liaison (SL) is your central point of contact for school related matters and works directly with base leadership, families, school districts, and local communities to foster and promote quality education for military and civilian children.
Did You Know?
The average military family moves 9 times over a 20-year career. With each move, military children face many school-related challenges. The School Liaison Officer is your advocate.
- Addresses issues with youth registration in the local school system
- Disseminates resources and information to families, commanders, schools and the community
- Validates transition concerns and connects families with resources
- Offers support for inbound/outbound school transfers
- Connects families with local school’s points-of-contact
- Advises command on education transition issues
- Trains local schools on military children culture
- Educates local communities and schools regarding the needs of military children
Educational Programs and the Los Angeles Area Schools
There are no schools on base. If you live on Fort MacArthur Base Housing, Tierra Vista Communities your child will be zoned for Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). Los Angeles County is the 2nd largest school district in the US! There are many options for education, public school, private school and homeschooling. Together, these combined resources educate thousands of students annually. Please click the link below to find the school districts attended by LAAFB military children.
Free COVID Testing
Palos Verdes Unified School District School (At Home COVID Test) The Los Angeles County Home Test Collection is a pilot program with Fulgent Genetics that allows you to sign up to have a COVID-19 test shipped to your home. This is the same test offered at County testing sites.
The sample is collected using a nasal swab. For additional information please visit:
LA County Holiday Home Test Collection Program
No federal endorsement intended nor implied.
The State of California requires that the school district where you reside to hold space for your child, but there are some circumstances where you can ask for a release from your local district and ask for consideration for your child to attend school in another district. Call the Airman & Family Readiness Center and we can provide you information based on your situation.
The LA area offers a world of diverse opportunities for your family and your children. There are galleries, museums, beautiful parks, beaches, mountains, desert and recreational venues, as well as cultural diversity that aren’t found anywhere else in the world!
We recommend you get to know a little about the base, as well as get organized for your move as you start to think about schools for your children.
Public and Private Schools:
- Cities in the Immediate Vicinity of Los Angeles AFB and Fort MacArthur AFB:
- South Bay Region, beach communities, a short 10-15 minutes drive to Los Angeles AFB off Pacific Coast Highway.
- Torrance, an inland city, is 15-20 minutes drive to Los Angeles AFB.
- San Pedro is a 20-25 minute drive from Los Angeles AFB, and is the location of our base housing:
If a parent chooses to teach their child at home, in order to be exempt from the compulsory education laws they must file a California Private School Affidavit. For assistance and more information on public school options visit https://www.cde.ca.gov or contact your School Liaison. Many public schools offer independent study or home-based study as an option. California also has a growing number of charter schools which offer different types of schooling in non-traditional settings.